How to Find the Perfect Gynecologist
A gynecologist is absolutely essential to any woman’s health. Answer the following questions to create a check-list of your individual needs. This will help you choose the most appropriate gynecologist for you:
1-What are your needs?
Identifying your needs is a key factor when it comes to choosing your gynecologist.
- Do you need Bio Identical Hormone Replacement (BHRT)? If so, you may need a doctor who specializes in menopause.
- Are you planning to get pregnant? If so, you may want someone who practices obstetrics. If this is not something you’re planning now, this may not be relevant.
- If you are pregnant: do you need an OB trained in high-risk pregnancies? If you have a serious medical condition (from diabetes to high blood pressure) you may need specialized care.
2-Is the doctor’s gender important?
For some people, this factor is of no importance, but anyway, some patients are concerned about the sex of their gynecologist.
3-Does he have any sub-specialty training?
It is really important that the Ob-gyn have some special training or experience in managing complicated medical, obstetric, or gynecologic condition.
4. Who covers for the doctor when he is unavailable?
Before choosing your gynecologist you should know if other physicians or non-physicians (such as a nurse or assistant) will participate in your care.
When Should a Woman See a Gynecologist?
- Once a year, after turning 18 or after becoming sexually active.
- When considering becoming pregnant.
- When there are any unusual signs or symptoms in breasts, vagina, lower abdomen, urinary system, period problems, hormonal concerns or needs for contraception